You Want Foolproof? Go Key Lime.

I am unreasonably emotional about the gymnastics last night - Alicia Sacramone, my favorite, fell twice and looked ready to cry. She said after it was her fault they didn't win (though the numbers say otherwise), and I teared up myself. I know how it feels to be your own worst critic. And that situation is pretty much my nightmare - you work hard for something for so long and just when everyone's watching, you mess it up. I guess it's like getting terrible reviews. It'd be worse, I suppose, to never make it at all - to never pursue your passions. High risk, high reward, huh? I can't help making all these parallels to the writing life. Not that throwing yourself into the MFA is the same as trying for an Olympic medal. The odds might be similar, though, if you're talking good publication. Which brings me around to what I'm always telling myself, that success is relative, that success has to be internal just as much, if not more, than external. I saw Joan Didion read last year. During the Q&A she said that when you're writing a novel, you have to convince yourself anew, every morning, that it's worth it. Feels very true, at the moment.

I'm in no mood for risky adventures in pie-land. Got me thinking, what's simple and comfortingly foolproof? Key lime pie. You cannot go wrong. This pie is the opposite of high stakes. It's stunningly easy and delicious. It's the friend who doesn't want anything from you except your company. On this one, my mom made the graham cracker crust from scratch, but I'll tell you a secret. You can use the store-bought crust and it will still taste good. Just don't skimp on fresh limes, which make the pie taste like a lime tree in the sun.

Unadorned Key Lime Pie
1/2 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice - key limes or regular
1 can sweetened condensed milk
4 egg yolks
one graham cracker crust, pre-baked for about 15 minutes

After the crust bakes, pour in the filling and return to oven for another 15-20 minutes. It should come out firm when you tap the pie plate. Put it in the fridge until it's cold and top with whipped cream and lime zest. Awesome. Smooth and tangy and sweet at once.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Made For Each Other: Strawberry Rhubarb

I Love Lists

Summer Fruit Parade