The Pie Diet

Your daily dose of potassium is hiding underneath here...

I hate to say it, but there's not one. A pie diet, I mean. I guess I could stop baking them altogether, but really, writers are not rational thinkers like that. My id loves pie. I will keep making it. I've got to have motivation other than my tastebuds, though. So this banana cream pie was an exercise in restraint: I baked, whipped, layered, and sent it out the door intact. It was hard! I kept thinking, I should taste it for scientific purposes. I've never made a banana cream before. Etcetera. But in the end, I didn't touch it. I survived. I did get compliments from the eaters, who said it was like "the most delicious banana pudding you ever ate," plus a graham cracker crust. The custard bit was hardest; I might not have cooked it long enough. It never quite gelled, despite hours of refrigeration. Still, what's not to love about homemade vanilla pudding and ripe, sweet bananas? Comfort food, for sure.

Yet banana cream pie is not a good way to get your potassium. We've been much better about going to the gym but the food part is harder. This is Houston, after all, land of Tex-Mex and freeway driving. I had a moment wherein the pie blog almost died. Then I decided I just have to pace myself and work out more and eat out less and share 90% of the pies...

We'll see how all that goes. I do want to avoid becoming Bridget Jones, i.e. daily calorie counting followed by guilty indulgences. It's not worth it. Finally, having spent years obsessing about my weight (familiar?) I understand it's not, not, not worth it. So I will keep baking. And sharing the pies. And running those speed interval workouts that honestly do make me feel like Wonder Woman afterwards.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Made For Each Other: Strawberry Rhubarb

I Love Lists

Summer Fruit Parade