Nectarine Pie Is Good For You

This *is* a pie blog, so I'd better get cracking on the pie posts. Good thing I have a few up my sleeve before the Thanksgiving bonanza begins - because my days are swamped in papers, books, and applications, so the oven isn't firing up (though it's finally getting cold in Houston!) First in line is the last of the summery pies: the neglected, hearty nectarine. I've had plenty of peach pie in my life but never nectarine, and given these were on sale, I'd thought I'd try it. I don't know the technical difference between the two fruits, but as far as I'm concerned, it comes down to the skin alone. Peach=fuzzy, nectarine=smooth. For some reason nectarines run a little harder than your average peach, but they're golden and juicy and sweet, and they deliver in pie-form. I left the skins on, for a little extra fiber and, uh, vitamins?

It was popular with my fiction writing crowd, but my pies always are! I'm starting to think they're not very discriminating. Good thing they like to eat, though. It's the only thing that gets us through those slush readings, when we open hundreds of manila envelopes and read lots of bad, some mediocre, and a bit of good fiction. All sent by hopeful writers to our Gulf Coast.

The pic isn't the greatest, but it was a delicious, wholesome little pie. Very peach-esque. The fruit looks darker because of the brown sugar I added...

Recipe coming soon! It's from Ken Haedrich again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Made For Each Other: Strawberry Rhubarb

I Love Lists

Summer Fruit Parade