Peanut Butter Pie Heaven

Yes, yes, yes. More, please. This peanut butter pie from Joy of Cooking was so utterly delicious I had to stop myself from eating the whole thing. I've always been a chocolate/peanut butter person, from my childhood obsession with Reese's Cups and Pieces to ... still obsessed. Well, I've graduated to the occasional spoonful of organic peanut butter with a few dark chocolate chips on top. I don't buy Reese's anymore because I'm afraid they'll make my teeth fall right out of my head (I will eat them at Grandma's - but that's because she keeps them in bowls all over the freaking counter. What's a girl supposed to do?) This pie was luscious and just sweet enough, somewhere between fluffy and creamy, with a crowning layer of shivery good chocolate. It sounds like a kid treat but it's perfectly respectable for adults, as evidenced by the rate at which my mom and friends devoured it. The homemade graham cracker crust adds a nice nutty texture. I wouldn't do a pastry crust for this one. Also, I wouldn't use anything but unsweetened, natural peanut butter. Skippy or the like would be a travesty.

And save this one for holiday indulgence. Let's put it this way: cream cheese, whipping cream, and peanut butter? There's a reason it's heavenly. Oh, yum. I want some right now. Instead I'm going to the gym. Not the best way to celebrate the end of the semester, but trying to get back in the saddle after a grueling three weeks in the final paper/grading/fellowship app mode.

The Best Peanut Butter Pie Ever

Graham Cracker Crust (recipe below this)

Filling
8 ounces cream cheese (you can use light! I did)
l cup chunky or smooth unsweetened peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup cold heavy cream

Chocolate Topping
1/3 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons unsalted butter.
4 ounces of bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped.

Prepare and bake Graham Cracker Crust in a 10" pie pan (see recipe below).

Beat cream cheese, peanut butter, sugar and vanilla just until smoothly blended. In a separate bowl, beat 1 cup cold heavy cream until stiff peaks form.

Using a spatula, fold half of the whipped cream into the peanut butter mixture, then fold in the remaining cream. Spread the mixture evenly in the cooled pie crust. Press a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the surface and refrigerate until firm, about 4 hours.

Bring 1/3 cup heavy cream and the butter to a boil in a saucepan over high heat - keep stirring.

Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate. Let cool to lukewarm, then pour the glaze over the pie and spread evenly. Refrigerate l hour or up to three days.

Graham Cracker Crust

1 1/2 cups fine crumbs made from graham crackers
6 tablespoons ( 3/4 stick) melted butter, warm or cool
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease or oil the pie pan. Mix ingredients together with a fork until all are moistened.

Spread the mixture evenly in the pan. Using your fingertips or the flat bottom of a drinking glass, press the mixture over the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of the pan. Bake until the crust is lightly browned and firm to the touch, 10 to 15 minutes. Cool before filling.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Love Lists

Summer Fruit Parade

Made For Each Other: Strawberry Rhubarb